Dance Film Open Call
Call for: recently created (2020 – later) international, national, and local dance films between 3 – 30 minutes in length
Screening location: Hamburg
Eligible for: International competition with monetary prize
TANZAHOi International Festival is looking for international, national, and local dance films for our 2023 program. There is no thematic limitation. Dance films in all creation categories are welcome to apply.
We wish to see your creativity, artistic research, and inspiration that binds the world of dance and the world of film into one. We are looking forward to learning more about your artistic work!
- The dance film must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes.
- The call is open to all national, international and local filmmakers, dance companies and collectives. Applicants may submit only two dance films.
- The dance film must be a recent work, filmed in 2020 or later.
- The applicant must have full rights to the film and film music, and must have legal permission to share the film material. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that full copyright and permissions have been acquired in advance of submission. The festival will not be accountable for any additional presentation costs. Please pay particular attention to ensure that music used has been cleared for copyright, music presentation tariffs are not required, and the music is permitted to be used in all countries. If the claimed permissions are found to be falsified, TANZAHOi reserves the right to terminate any contract or agreement associated with the work and the applicant.
- The dance film must be able to be shared as a file in a minimum resolution of Full HD 1920 x 1080 max. 80GB (preferably via WeTransfer). The selected films are required to send the Full HD 1920 x 1080 file within 2 weeks of the notification of selection.
- The selected artists must be able to participate in a live or virtual artists’ discussion after the screening of their film on one of the festival days.
- By submitting an application for the 2023 Open Call, the applicant agrees, if selected, to the screening of the film in the TANZAHOi main program and any touring programs. The applicant also agrees to the sharing of film excerpts, still photographs, trailer, and film participant’s (cast and crew) given information on tanzahoi.org and TANZAHOi International Festival’s social media platforms.
- The applicant agrees to send the screening agreement received upon selection, back to the TANZAHOi team with a full signature and date within 2 weeks of the selection notification.
- Films that were already ‘not selected’ in former editions of the festival are excluded from this submission call.
- Application deadline is February 15, 2023 at 11:59 pm UTC+2. All applications sent after the deadline cannot be considered.
- Short project description max. 300 words
- Link to view the full film
- Minimum 2 still photographs from the film preferred 1920×1080 landscape, max. 2MB
- Biography of the director(s)/choreographer(s) max. 200 words
- Headshot of the director(s) and/or choreographer(s) preferred 400×600 portrait, max. 2MB
- Film credits (including photography credits)
- Contact information of applicant
- In case of spoken language in the film, the film must have English or German subtitles. We highly recommend the addition of the subtitles as a PDF file if it is necessary for a better understanding of the work.
- All selected films are eligible for the award competition (monetary prize). Thanks to the support of the Claussen-Simon-Stiftung, the amount of the “Select Dance Film Prize 2023” will be a minimum of 1000 Euro.
- Selected films will be screened in Hamburg and online via tanzahoi.org.
- Selected artists will be featured on tanzahoi.org and on all TANZAHOi social media platforms for the extent of the festival.
Click “TO APPLICATION” below. Fill out the form in its entirety, and click submit. All applications must be completed in English or German.
PLEASE NOTE: your application will not be saved between sessions. If you do not submit your application form before exiting the page, your work will be lost. We highly recommend saving your texts somewhere else before/during filling out the form.
You will be able to see your completed applications in your profile once they have been submitted.
The deadline for applications is February 15, 2023 at 11:59 pm UTC+2. All applications received after this date will not be considered.
Announcement of the open call result will be made at the beginning of April.
Submissions are possible through FilmFreeway with an application fee of 15 EUR. The fee is to cover the costs of application handling and processing. There are no fees for applications submitted directly on tanzahoi.org.